The Woman's Department Club was established in 1919 by a group of ladies influenced by Hypathia Literary Club. These ladies had a vision to provide a centre of thought and action to focus on the strength of women for the promotiona of educational, literary and artistic growth of Shreveport and its vicinity. As a result five departments evolved : literature, art, education, garden and music.
The WDC building at 802 Margaret Place was built in 1925 with plans drawn from architect, Clarence King. Through fundraisers and donations enough money was raised to pay all cost of construction in full. The structure is a chartered institution and the club is on the National Hisorical Society Register.
During WWII, a War Activities Commitee was formed over one million dollars in war bonds was raised. The WDC Board of Directors purchased $1000 in war bonds and contributed generously to the Red Cross which resulted in 7,000 much needed hospital beds. As a result of these efforts, a citation was awarded to the club by the Secratary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau, Jr., and a bomber was named "The Woman's Department Club, LA."
The club has hosted many important social functions. Many famous people have participated such as Edward R. Murrow, Robert Frost, Katherine Hepburn, Lillian Gish, Louis Calhern and Van Cliburn just to name a few.